Sunday, November 09, 2008

Innocent Question - Eklavya

Yesterday while spending time with me in the lawn while vacation,“Parth” ( my son, meaning of word पार्थ is dutiful warrior , undefeated king) while reading a comic book, Amar Chtira Katha asked me , Papa simple question why Dronacharya, has asked Eklavya to cut his thumb..?

I gave, answer which was taught to me in child hood , Dronacharya wanted Arjuna to remain undisputed and best Archer of the world

Parth was not satisfied with my answer, he looked at me, like i told him an obvious thing which he already knew. It made me think...why Drona has asked for it...? Asking for the thumb of an archer was equivalent to killing him, How could Dronacharya demand such a heavy prize from one disciple to protect the honor of the other ?

Nevertheless knowing that Eklavya had no remorse. Unruffled and with due humility, cheerfully and without protest, he cut his right thumb and placed at the feet of Dronacharya.
Few questions are still wondering in my mind, which i will be trying to figure out in my subsequent posts.
  • When Dronacharya has not taught any thing to Eklavya, wasn’t it totally wrong and sinful to ask Gurudakshina?
  • Why Eklavya has not refused to give his right hand thumb, or why he has not offered anything else in the bargain, including an competition with Arjun?
  • Why Eklavaya, mentioned that he learned Archery from Dronacharya’s statue, he could have altogether avoided entire episode?
  • Why Eklavya, wanted to be regarded as disciple of Dronacharya, what pride he got in getting associated with the name, was it his unfulfilled desire, which led him to sacrifice and humiliation.
  • Why was Dronacharya so protective about his prodigy Arjuna ?

Good Night.. had a very tiring day, cant write more..

No comments: